Wednesday, September 19, 2007

~135

Miles for the round trip to Grove City.

I played guitar for a prayer & worship night with the Grove City Care Group (GCCG), which is now the GCSRCG, since Seth and Patrick are coming from Slippery Rock.

I calculated it out as I ruminated on the odometer on the way home: roughly 120 miles.. 30 miles to the gallon.. $2.75 per gallon... it was about an $11 gig. Which I say not because of my first thought, which was "What a dumb amount of money to spend for such a short thing." I say it for the thought that quickly swallowed that one up: What better to spend money on? What should I save it for? Restaurant food and gas station snacks? More CD's? Gas to go hang out with friends for my own benefit? How good it is to have *something* I can spend my money on that's of real value and service!

I'm not saying this is always my attitude, since if it was I think I would be a much more generous man whose bank statements would look a lot different. But it was a genuine thought, and a feeling I want to chase. A moment of conviction I want to nurture.

--CA

P.S. It took some more effort and grace, but I arrived at the same conclusion regarding my time as I wrestled with going to Fuse Saturday night instead of the Brad Paisley concert with Daniel, Justin & Co. Here is one thing I can do that's clearly of eternal value.. so dig it!

5 comments:

Author at 661 said...

I wondered why you hadn't gone and were instead at FUSE- thanks for making the choice you did!

Way to be an influence ;-)

Laedelas Greenleaf said...

Haha...Brad Paisley vs FUSE...wow...country, dude? You wanted to go to a country concert? I'm surprised! (Not that it's a bad thing, just so you know. I don't like country, but I thought you didn't, either.)

Clear Ambassador said...

I've decided my opposition to country is no longer fun, funny, or serviceable to my friends. I still dislike a large chunk of current "country music," but I could give several convincing arguments for the veracity of the genera, even in its current form.
"Country" aside, I don't know anything of Brad Paisley's, but wanted to go because of the other people going, and because concerts are fundamentally memorable experiences.

"International Harvester" is a country song I like.

Author at 661 said...

I always thought you liked to a degree at least the classics of country. Not everyone goes around singing Hank Williams songs...

Clear Ambassador said...

I'm a big fan of *true* country! Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, and probably Loretta Lynn and Woodie Guthrie once I get some of their stuff. Even Merle Haggard is pretty enjoyable.
Those folks seem pretty genuine. At least moreso than a lot of the country guys today.
I guess to enjoy the music I've had to change my expectations.