Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Short Story

I was at the dentist two weeks ago, to get a cavity refilled after its previous occupant had vacated the premises (I thought it was a popcorn kernel. Not so). Dr. Qualk shot me up with Novacain (Carbocain, actually), and waited the customary few minutes for it to take effect. We talked about college, and chemistry, and organic chemistry, and O-chem lab, and O-chem 2 lab, and the triumph of getting an A in O-chem 2. I suddenly realized that the numbness had passed its apex. He was better than he thought at placing that needle, and I had been numbed up about 5 minutes ago.
I chenched the arms of the chair and said a silent, fervent prayer that he would wrap up his collegiate ruminations. Getting one shot was bad enough. Getting another for no good reason would SUCK.
Thankfully after a couple more sentences he picked up his drill and got to work.
Still, by the time the filling was in and he started smoothing it out, he was basically buzzing into my un-numbed gums.
But I said not a word, for a little tingle at the edge of your gums is much better than another needle rammed up your cheek.

Novacain shots were one of the very few true terrors of my childhood.

--CA

No comments: