Thursday, April 27, 2006

New Song!

Major huge boo for it being 2am right now.

Major huge yay for, in the space of two hours, writing and recording a song from scratch. And the recording is good! I love my Parkwood more and more every time I use it, and the thoughtless ease with which I can use the new computer makes a bigger difference than I thought in my subconscious mind as I go to record. The ol' Rode NT2000 has always been perfect, and continues to put out the sweetest signals I could want. And perhaps the nicest thing of all for recording?....The quietness of the new computer's fan! So stupid and lowly, but when I can crank up and compress recorded signals without getting this fan sound blaring, I can do a LOT more.

So, the song. It's called "Slips Away," I think, and I wrote it because I walked over to the couch thinking "I should write a song." I sat down, plunked for like 30 seconds, and then, somewhat springing from the Coldplay and Switchfoot I'd been hearing that day, I started singing this. Before 2 lines were out I had grabbed a tape recorder, and I recorded myself doodling around and figuring the song out as I played. No virgin ideas or guitar parts were going to escape me this time! And they didn't, and when I formulated a quick structure and a sweet double part, I headed downstairs with a clear enough idea to start recording without losing it all. So I did, and here you have it: Slips Away. And I even played some extemporaneous solos without botching them! Overall it was a great recording experience, and I was able to get the music in my head into the computer exactly as I had envisioned it, even with some added bonuses. THAT is recording at its best.

Also, if you want to look at my overall music site, go here. Other cool songs and blurbs about them.

Let me know what you think of the new song! I thought about putting the lyrics up, but I'll wait and let the song speak for itself. Maybe I'll put 'em up later if you want.

I'm so tired I feel sick in my stomach. Or maybe I've just been awake long enough to need a fourth meal. So much for studying for my physical chemistry final tomorrow at 6pm. Oh well. I made my choice when I went downstairs, and I would rather have this song and a B in that class, if it comes to that.

SLEEEEEEEEEP

You know, I was thinking: in the olden days people used to come a lot closer to not getting the food and water they needed to survive. So when Jesus promised the Samaritan woman water that would spring up within her, leaving her never thirsty again, that must have been pretty attractive. But today that promise doesn't do much for me. It's been filled by the water company :-P But rarely if ever does mankind eliminate one great felt need without replacing it with another different one. So what is comparable today?

You guessed it: sleep. What if someone offered you a bed that if you slept in it once you'd never be sleepy again. Never have to go to bed. Never feel tired. Dude! That would be pretty much the best thing in the world! Such is the force of analogy Christ used to show the grandeur of the new covanent He was bringing.

--Clear Ambassador

P.S. I just bought a 10-inch Remo clear ambassador drum head at Guitar Center today. Yay for buying my alias!

1 comment:

Laedelas Greenleaf said...

Major huge boo for waking up at 2 AM and slamming the schoolwork like none other since then (that's me). I've been living on chocolate and Berries&Cream Dr. Pepper since then :-P

I like your song! Maybe when my mind isn't so full of IT stuff and science fiction stuff I can give you a better critique...but it was good. The guitar is nice, as you claimed :-)