Saturday, April 22, 2006

Friday was long

So, I got up at 5:39am! And then I made the quality decision to go back to sleep. And woke up an hour and a half later. I can rarely think of a time my body has been so heavy as when I first got up. I felt ineffably better and fresher at 7:15 as I dressed and assembled food for breakfast. And to record what I recorded last night was well worth the price of having to stay at work till 5.

I had written out a tight list yesterday of things I needed to do today, so I got to them as I ate some pizza and sipped CVNDP for breakfast. I mostly put together an outline of ideas for what I could do if I did part-time work over the summer and fall. Then I calculated the new retention time in the 002 lagoons if we dropped the level 2 feet to expose the outfall pipe to put in a reinforcing resin sock. It would go to 4.5 days, which isn't long enough.

The normal Friday pilgrimage to the Midway at 11:30 didn't happen, which was ok with me because I was still full from the pizza. At noon Tom decided to go, so I went with him, and I asked Georgia to make me like a half-sized salad. She did (Bull made it, actually), and it was perfect! Good lunch, and nice to hang out with Tom. I love the Midway :-)

In the afternoon the biggest thing I did was go talk to the guys at Dylark for about an hour regarding the tote project. I got some enlightening perspectives from some of the operators, which I consider possibly the most important aspect of designing a process change. The operators know best what works and doesn't, and how things are carried out practically. Then I ditched the last 3 items on my checklist for the day and wrote up a 2-page summary of the 3 options for implementing totes, even crafting a concise matrix of options versus pros, cons, costs and implementation logistics. Good to get that stuff down on paper.

I was planning on going to the Grover (now Caldwell) care group that evening, and since the Quinlisks are gone (Their Aunt in Columbus died) I thought I'd call the Caldwells and see if I could bum dinner of them. Turns out it was a good thing I called 'cause care group was at their house instead of in Bethel Park! Saved me a lot of driving. So I headed to the C's at 5:15 and got to catch up with them a bit. It's funny--in past semesters I've gone over to their house about once a week, but this semester it's like every single day has something that must be done after work, leaving no days to go chill with them.

Care group was pretty good. A bit slow perhaps, but that may have just been me, 'cause I started getting a bit drowsy. It was providential that I was there 'cause Mr. Taylor would've been the only one doing worship. It was nice to use Katie's guitar and play along with him, and people said it sounded good. It was nice to hang out and talk with folks afterward, and me and Mr. T talked about music and recording and I played him the two versions of "On My Side." Then home, and I had to figure out a detour on the fly since they were shutting down a section of the parkway after 10pm. It went better than I expected, and I got back on the highway at Carnegie.

I called Steve-O on the way home and got the rest of the story on the encounter with Ryan Cabrera in New York. Many Akronites have been on a 3-day trip to New York City this week, and today Nick saw Ryan Cabrera (pop star) shopping, and he and Jen, Christin and Emily hung out with him a bit. Pretty cool! New York sounds awesome, and I really want to go hang out there and play my guitar for money and film a music video with Pure Boss.

At home Wes and Nate were hanging out with Daniel. So I joined in, and we ended up going to Applebee's for half-off appetizers and good conversation. Great time, lots of laughing, and we made our waitress laugh a lot too :-)
Nate, after much talk about the sad state of world society: That's it, the four of us are going to the Moon to start civilization over.
Daniel: But we have no women!
Me, pointing to Wes and Daniel: That's right! You and you, you're out.

When the last people in the restaurant started getting ready to leave we cleared out, pushing open the doors into the warm humid rain. Nate headed home. Wes and Daniel are upstairs heading for bed, and I'm feeling sorta deep subtle tired, like I don't want to go downstairs and remix "On My Side" like I've been wanting to all day. I'd rather brush quick, lay back on the couch, watch a Simpsons or two and let myself go to sleep. Probably not a bad idea.

Today was a long day, but it didn't so much feel so. Work was pretty good though I got tired at points, lunch was nice, hangin' with folks at Care Group was cool, and Applebee's with the dudes was great.

I wanna go to New York, but mostly I want Pure Boss to be the opening band for Switchfoot on their tour :-) There is no other earthly thing I can think of that would be better than that. Maybe perfect health and a couple trillion bucks, but lots of money seems to end up sucking, so I'll take Switchfoot.

I also want to buy Ozone (hard core mastering plugin) and make a pro-quality album. At least that's one dream that I'm actually working towards and that will most likely happen. Coo'

--Clear Ambassador

1 comment:

Laedelas Greenleaf said...

Dude, thanks for letting Lisa and me have fun with your recording equipment tonight, rather than re-recording your song! We both had an incredible amount of fun. It's a bit easier to understand a recording musician's frustrations now :-)

Was 1:30 AM too late? You can kick us out earlier next time, if there is one.

Didn't Steve Cook retire from SGM production? It'd be way cool if you did get into that somehow. You got some strings to pull, right? :-)