Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Ahh, Dr.Pepper

My blog has been very hospitable lately. As in, it's had lots of visitors :-) Many of them seem to drop by from searches for Dr. Pepper-related stuff. "Dr.Pepper song," "Drink Dr.Pepper be a Pepper," "Dr.Pepper pictures," and my personal favorite: "Amount of sugar in Dr.Pepper." :-)

Oddly enough, I was once trying to find that exact same information last semester. We were working on a project for transport, and I convinced our group ("Team Bloat") to make our project a heat exchanger to cool Dr.Pepper from 2-liter bottles. Heh. I spent one afternoon in the lab calling around and searching the net for the heat capacity of Dr.Pepper, and eventually for the degrees Brix of Dr.P (grams sugar per 100g solution). We eventually found it. So, buddy, whoever you are who searched for that, here's the dope:

Dr.Pepper has 40 grams of sugar per 370mL of solution, meaning it is 10.8 °Brix (A concentration unit common in the beverage industry).

The density of Dr.Pepper is 1.04 g/mL (4% higher than pure water)

The heat capacity of Dr.Pepper at 25 degrees Celsius (room temperature) is 3.94 kJ/kg K. But who ever drinks Dr.P at room temperature?? GOSH. At 0 degrees Celsius (cold as ice. That's better, baby!), it is 3.92 kJ/kg K.

And in case you were wondering, don't run to Wal-mart and look for a chiller for your 2-liter bottles of pop. What we came up with weighed about 500 pounds, was 8 feet long, and cost around $4000 :-) Just put 'em in the fridge, folks!

--Clear Ambassador

4 comments:

Laedelas Greenleaf said...

Hmm, my fridge...

It's about 6.5 feet tall, was relatively expensive (I think), and is quite massive. So it weighs a lot. But, then again, it holds more than 2 liters :-)

Laedelas Greenleaf said...

Oh, and about your visitors...

I've been getting hits on my blog from searches. Someone searched for "Am I stupid?" and "God" and my blog was the 4th result!! Yay! (maybe not) :-P

Bubs said...

Comment to help poor JPB.

Have fun at Pure Orange Boss today!

Anonymous said...

I Googled "density of Dr. Pepper" for a heat transfer problem for my thermo class involving a can of the good stuff. Thanks now I know it.