Sunday, December 18, 2005

Wastebook

Trip reports and life reports and feelings reports later. For now I wanna write what I thought of in the bathroom just now. That little room seems to be the source of all my writing inspiration for this blog. Foshizzle. It seems like I always come back to my laptop with an idea or thought or phrase, or some good words to use, or a cool way of writing up the weekend, or something. Strange. Anyway, I bring you....


The stereotypical facebook post:

****************************

[innocuous greeting], [over-chummy nickname to reinforce how tight you guys are]!!

[exaggerated reference to the length of the time elapsed since you were last with said person]

[hyperbolically metaphorical description of a shared experience]. [reference to some obscure thing which no one else knows about to make everybody feel like they're missing out]

[banal, over-familiar ending compliment]

****************************

For example:

What's krackin' ace-in-the-hole!!

Dude, it's been like a million years since we've hung out!!

Man, but what a floor-smashing time we had at Rolio's, eh? Linoleum and cinnamon...wink wink ;]

See ya champ!

****************************

So yeah--I really have trouble thinking of ANYTHING to say to people on Facebook that is not banal, pointless, and non-constructive. What is the point of those wall messages? It seems to be to make you feel like you're real tight with people, and to show that off to everyone who reads it. That's what I catch myself doing as I compose wall messages. Little can be said that is beneficial, or even just meaningful, to anyone other than yourself and your addressee. Hah, that has two d's, two s's, and two e's!

Here's to AIM, email, phone, and in-person communication!

--Clear Ambassador

P.S. Cabs--Sinatra's my fav philosopher now! lol :-P Thanks for the laugh.



See?? Isn't that irritating??? Like, what's he talking about?? Sinatra? Laugh? Philosophy? Geez.

Well, Rebekah wrote the following on my wall on Facebook:

As you croon with [One Voice] tonight, here's something funny:

“To Do Is To Be”
Nietzsche

“To Be Is To Do”
Kant

“Do Be Do Be Do”
Sinatra


And it did make me laugh :-) Out loud, too.

P.S. I still do enjoy facebook, both writing on walls and being written on. It's just tough to make it meaningful and keep it from being prideful.

5 comments:

Towropes said...

That's why I don't feel obligated to write on walls with regularity.

If it's to return a message or convey "solidarity" with an individual, sure.

Unfortunately I am prone to the obscure-reference condition.

Bubs said...

As Wes would say, "facebook is the dark side of college."
Is it weird to write on people's walls just cause they have the same last name as me? hah.

Bookkeeper has always been my favorite word since it has 3 sets of 2 letters...

Laedelas Greenleaf said...

Haha, J-Dawg!! What's chillin? It has been, like, ohmigarsh, uhh, 41-odd hours since I last rode in your car??? That's just insane. WAAAAAAAY too long to not ride in your car. I mean, hel-LO!!! It's a blue sports car! Haha. Like, uh, dragonfruit starburst & all that :-D Thanks, man, that was just awesome. And the toll booth!!! LOL, ROFL, BMGL, ETC ETC!!!! *gasp* Duude, we should SO get some of those Akronians that I LOVE to come and visit. Skatin' in the triangle!!! W00T.

Peace, dawg.

Laedelas Greenleaf said...

Actually, both bookkeeper and addressee have 3 e's, not two. Yeah, I know...the one isn't right next to the others. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

FACEBOOK TROLL OF DEATH!!!!!!!!!!