Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Give 'em what they ask for

Mood: Ice cold feet . . body fading with the passing minutes. Mind dully focussed on the writing, gaze narrowing on the luminous screen, back aching, foot habitually twitching. Fingers heavy on the keyboard, rear end heavy on the chair. I feel very little of my body, and my thinking has narrowed to only this post and the Van Halen song which occupies the ceaseless spot of backgrond music running in my head. Top Gun theme. The solo at the very end where he cuts it all loose. 3 measures of that solo. Repeating over and over and over.


Well, I just finished my first piece of writing that truly meets the criteria of that staple of mediocre college work, that denzien of a thousand procrastinations, the "bs paper." 7 pages about "polyglutamic proteins in neural degenerative diseases" in about 4 hours, the night before it's due. 1.5 spaced, lotsa big figures...

This is the first time I've ever really intentionally, foreknowingly done a shoddy job on an assignment, and it's sticking in my craw. But what saddens me is not that I wrote a blow-off paper, but that that's all that the class required.

Dr. Koepsel has been probably the worst professor I've had at Pitt so far. Not because he's mean or impossible to understand, but because he doesn't teach. He rattles off dry words about dry slides on the screen. He rattles off random, unrelated problems from the back of the chapter in the book for us to do as "homework." He grades our homework and papers with a check mark.

That's not teaching!

I doubt my paper will even be read. I would expect him to scan it over, check the page count, and look for one or more non-internet sources in the bibliography. Then the check mark, and my paper is done. To put the mental muscle of my Critical Writing skills into this paper would be laughable and foolish. Yes I am falling cataclysmically short of the principles I have spent a semester learning in that class, but their application would have been wasted.

And I take a step back, and I look at myself with the fresh homeschooled eyes of my 17-year-old self. I would scorn what I did tonight as that most-despised of intellectual iniquities: doing an assignment not to learn anything but just to get the grade. And so I did. There are things I could have learned in doing this paper that I didn't learn. But I never wanted to take biochemistry in the first place (Pitt requires it of me), and I'm not particularly interested in it, and the specific topic of this paper will almost certainly never be applicable in my life, and the teacher has bred in his class a stagnant academic atmosphere where nobody--not even he himself--cares about the material. Perhaps ideally I would still read, research, think hard, plan out, write, and craft a solid 5-10 page paper, but given that I am sick, and a presentation, transport homework, biochem final, systems and signals homework and critical writing paper are all due before Friday, that kind of time expenditure would be foolish. So my academic principles butt up against real life, and real life wins.

Writing a 'bs paper' was the wisest and most prudent decision I could make.

It's different than you might expect, but I am indeed getting a college education. For it is into real life that I will soon set sail.

6 comments:

Laedelas Greenleaf said...

Well, your paper may have been, to borrow the colloquialism, "bs," but the post was not. My favorite line: "...the teacher has bred in his class a stagnant academic atmosphere where nobody--not even he himself--cares about the material." How sad that this occurs. Perhaps Pitt would be more attractive to intelligent people if their professors were also actually intelligent.

Darn this so-called Real Life! It's ruining my goal of PT, and apparently your goal of intellectual integrity.

Clear Ambassador said...

Ironic, isn't it? I put far far more thought and editing into this post than I did into the paper :-P

Rebekah recently used a term which struck me as perfect for you Shannon: you are a generous corresponder. Thanks for taking the time to point out your favorite sentence! That phrase was actually one of the worst of the post for most of the time I was writing. Eventually I worked it over and changed it from "...the teacher has instilled the class with a stagnant atmosphere where nobody, including himself, cares..." I'm glad that that effort made a difference!

I love writing :-)

Bubs said...

Your prof is just a Research Associate, thats why prolly why he doesn't care much. He prolly thinks of himself as a full time sub.

Clear Ambassador said...

And Pitt is full of magnificently intelligent professors, Shannon. Anyone listening to much I've said these past months could vouch for my admiration of my Critical Writing class, whose excellence springs almost solely from its outstanding teacher, Dr. Kafka. Stewart, Siska, Kafka, McCarthy, Johnson, Stetten, and especially Malekar are all names that immediately come to my mind when I think of great profs I've had at Pitt.

It's sad that all professors aren't as good as these, and yes, better colleges will have a higher concentration of quality, but even Grove City has its duds (just ask Ken). Real life scores again :-)

The point of this post was not to complain. It was to consider. Consider real life. I get mildly irritated at Dr. Koepsel sometimes, but mostly I just do what I have to to learn the stuff, take the tests, and move on. Life's full of nonidealities, and our ability to rise above them will often be the determining factor in our temporal happiness. Hold yourself lightly comes to mind again...

And a positive thing about Dr. Koepsel: he is easy-going. Low expectations, perhaps, but at least he's not stuck up. That can't be said of all professors (Remember O Chem 1 anybody? :-P).

Clear Ambassador said...

On another note for Koepsel. And this really should be said: He does actually care about genetics, which I am guessing is his field of research or whatever. He has done some genuine teaching of that subject during the last two weeks. It's not very user-friendly, but it is teaching, and that should be known.

And genetics are pretty stinkin' amazing. The DNA in our bodies, if stretched out end-to-end, would stretch between the earth and the sun ~50 times! Just sit and think about that for a few minutes, and look at yourself, and think about it.

Our God is an awesome God.

Laedelas Greenleaf said...

Oh, yes, there are really some amazing teachers. There are also just amazing egos...

If anyone needs an elective, and wouldn't mind a bit of writing (over 30 pages, to be more precise), take any of Dr. Michele Butler's classes!!

:-)