Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Muuuusic

I continue to be amazed at my ability to appreciate music. I say that so blatantly because I used to be very UNlike that, and I don't know what's changed, so I can't really take any credit for it. I just listened to Muddy Waters a bunch and enjoyed it (especially "Floyd's Guitar Blues," all 7 minutes of it), and now I find myself rocking my head to Led Zepplin - a band I used to despise. I've even enjoyed the light doses of Kenny Chesny and Jimmy Buffet that Daniel has played. The biggest surprise has been Bread. They're a soft rock/pop 70's group like the Carpenters, and I was expecting to be repulsed by their music as I was by Todd Rundgren. But I found myself loving it and listening to it over and over. Crazy!

Basically, for the last month or two, whatever music I've played I have thoroughly enjoyed (unless I'm too distracted to pay it reasonable attention). It's tricky, though, 'cause I'm gettin' my brain all swimming with music and it's crowding out God and spiritual things which I should be remembering, praying about, and acting upon. So, I'm trying to tone it down. But it's hard, 'cause I want to suck in as much as I can while this capacity for appreciation and education lasts. Oh well. In the end, nobody really gives a sneeze if I know what made Led Zepplin's music so great....except me. And in all seriousness, that's the opinion I care most about. Everybody else can think I'm an idiot and I honestly won't care, but if I feel like I look like an idiot, I'll cringe at the memory of it for days (even years, with a couple incidents).

All of which is to say, Music is sweet and I'm too full of myself. Now you can go back to your lives as you once knew them.

--John B

1 comment:

Bubs said...

AH CHOO!

(I gives a sneeze!)