Thursday, February 16, 2006

Glory seekers

Where have you been finding glory these last few days? Where, in the existence of God's good world, have you been marveling at and enjoying the shining tastes of His glory that speckle our lives like glitter in the dirt? Are your eyes open to these "glory moments" (to borrow the phrase from a past sermon)?

I tasted glory in the hot sausage chili soup Sunday afternoon.

I felt glory in the air that blew warm on my skin this afternoon and evening.

I sucked down glory in the Cherry Vanilla Dr.Pepper slurpie from Seven Eleven today.

I saw glory on the TV screen as men plummeted down a precipitious icy slope, not scraping down it, clinging to the hill as it fell away beneath them, but pointing their slick skiis down, tucking in, and trying to go as fast as they possibly could! I watched in awe as their whole bodies shuddered and bent under the force of the turns as they skied on the edge of control, a muscle twitch away from a car-less wreck at highway speeds.

I see heart-touching glory in Daisy's face every day. You'd think we'd get used to it, since she's always around, but I truly never cease to be amazed at her ineffable cuteness and to wonder at it. "What a gift from God!" is all I can say.

I live with the glory of my Mom and Dad, two of the most enduringly godly people I've ever known. I marvel at the laying down of their lives that blesses me every day.

I enjoy glory in the music that Brian, Stephen and I make in the basement of the Hoffman's house. I sung and played glory in the delicate song Steve taught me last time I was there. I feel glory as the bass amp fills the room with huge round sound waves.

There's glory everywhere, and the more you think about it and look for it, and the more you turn from it to delight in and thank the God who gives it so graciously, the more you see and the more you savor.

Life is good :-)

--JPB

1 comment:

Laedelas Greenleaf said...

You know, I had a pretty intense glory moment this week. A particular friend of mine (he's the picture of self-sufficiency) is experiencing a lot of turbulence in his life. He can't seem to handle it, so I pointed him toward grace & have been praying for him. This prayer has led to such a wonderful new understanding of God, and specifically his holiness, that I was in tears simply because of God's holiness. It is beyond words. Amazing. Awe-some.