Sunday, January 15, 2006

Sweet sweet practice

Good times. 28 hours in Akron, 9 hours of sleep, 8 or so hours of practice, 4 hours of driving, and about 3 hours' pay spent.

I left work early Friday since I had finished up the day's tasks and wouldn't have spent my time profitably. Arrived about 4:15, chilled with the dancers, jammed with Steve, and then set up when they were finished in the dance room. Brian came over, we had spaghetti, and then hit the practice. Pretty much went over our standard songs from our standard set. Renovated "My Plea," which really needed renovation, and is now pretty sweet and tricked-out. Stopped about 9:30 'cause my voice was gone. Hung out, got Philip to bed, and ended up going over to the Chima's for the night. Bed at 1:30, and I awoke from a sound sleep promptly at 9:30. Guess I'd gotten my 8 hours. I went back to sleep, though, till 10:30. Bri shower, me shower (no regular soap! I've smelled like creamy coconut body wash all day :-P), time wasting, and finally headed out.

We had TACO BELL...for BREAKFAST...at LUNCHTIME.

Pretty much sums up everything sweet about the first half of Saturday. "Sweet practice with amiable and adaptable musicians" probably sums up the other half. We played more songs, took awhile to get warmed up, and finally set about constructing a song from an idea Brian had. It's basically death metal craziness into happy Pure Boss sweetness. Amazing. Lots and lots of work into that song, and my right foot became incapacitated due to frenzied double-kicking. The drumming was very fun, though, and I'm respecting Brian and Stephen more and more on their respective instruments. They do stuff I can't do, and together we make a hot sweet band. (Hot modifies sweet, not band)

Wrapped it up at about 6:30, Bri took off, Steve and I took my stuff down, and I loaded the car, ate spaghetti, and talked to Mrs. Hoffman. Steve-O went to see "Glory Road" and Mr. H watched the playoffs. Finally I bid farewell and slipped down the icy driveway, ten minutes after 8, my target latest departure time. The drive back was quite good and neutral. I was a bit dehydrated from this stupid lingering cold, and I couldn't find the Braeburn apple I had been craving, but I was plenty awake, the road was friendly, I slid the seat back, and there were a couple things from the Bible CD that stood out to me as Marquis Laughlin read through Matthew. "Whenever two or three are gathered together, I am there." Pure Boss is three, gathered together in the basement of the Hoffmans. God is there with us! That's cool, and partially sobering. We oughta do what we do for Him, and aware of Him. "Why did you doubt?" (as Peter sunk into the Sea of Galilee on his way walking to Jesus). He could have said "Don't doubt, it's silly!" or "You should not have doubted." But He just said, "Oh you of little faith, why did you doubt?" Why do I doubt? It's a simple question, and forthright consideration of it will yield the statements above, and many others. It is also partially rhetorical, given the fact that Jesus was standing on the water Himself. It shows how foolish doubt in God is, when things are viewed in the proper perspective. And it is kind. He doesn't upbraid Peter, He just asks. Child; friend; My son. Why do you doubt?

So yeah, it was a good weekend, and I was glad that as I left I didn't feel distant from God in my thoughts. That's an indicator that the weekend was not spent off in a flurry of my own, filling my mind and obscuring God. We had worked hard, talked, and chilled before Him, and I believe our time was spent profitably, as well as quite pleasantly and productively.

I sure hope we can record a second album! Future self, have you recorded a second album? Heh, I wish I knew. Geez, I sure wish I knew what I'm doing now, as I read this. But now is the time that I'll be looking back on, and I've got to both work through it and, more importantly, enjoy and exploit it to its fullest potential. When else in my life will I be praying with the ferocity of undeterminedness about school, job, career, wife, calling, location, and fundamental relationship with God?? In probably 5 years all of those will be more or less set. Now is the time of unknown, open future, many possibilities, and great potential. This time will be past someday, but right now I'm living it, and I don't want it to go by unappreciated or unrealized.

Lord God my Father, direct my steps by Your word I pray, and let no iniquity have dominion over me. Align my heart with Your will, perfect Lord, and please give me wisdom. Thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory forever.

Amen.

--Clear Ambassador

3 comments:

Laedelas Greenleaf said...

Wow, your post didn't leave me sad! :-P

This fast from AIM seems to be accomplishing some of its goal for you. You're asking some pretty serious questions about your future! Way cool. Thanks for your example. I'll be facing a ton of important questions soon, too...hopefully I'll be able to emulate your faith.

Bubs said...

Hey there future John!

Clear Ambassador said...

It didn't leave you sad because I didn't LEAVE sad! It was nice :-)