Saturday, September 19, 2009

African Proverbs

From the July 09 edition of "Ghana News Monthly," Vol. 1, No. 3.

     I had fun reading through these, and I think you will too. Some were familiar observations of life, which was quite delightful considering they're from another continent: Money is sharper than a sword.
     Others were quite obviously from very different life situations: The son shoots a leopard; the father is proud.
     And others were remarkably insightful when I thought about them, despite their unassuming premises: "Unless you call out, who will open the door?" and "Wood already touched by fire is not hard to set alight.

Enjoy!

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

Zaire - The Congo

  • What is said over the dead lion's body could not be said to him alive.
  • Little by little grow the bananas.
  • A single bracelet does not jingle.
  • Let him speak who has seen with his eyes.

Ashanti, Ghana

  • When a woman is hungry, she says, "Roast something for the children that they may eat."
  • He who cannot dance will say: "The drum is bad."
  • No one tests the depth of a river with both feet.
  • It is a fool's sheep who break loose twice.

Buganda

  • He who hunts two rats, catches none.

Ethiopia

  • A fool looks for dung where the cow never browsed.
  • One who runs alone cannot be outrun.
  • The frog wanted to be as big as the elephant, and burst.

     And one which immediately brought to mind my trip out West, where the difference between the desert-like ranches of Utah and the green pastureland of Nebraska was stark: "The cattle is only as good as the pasture in which it grazes."


     Thanks for reading!

And remember: You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla.


5 comments:

Lisa said...

I like "A single bracelet does not jingle." It reminds me of when I was little and in school... I used to go home and tell my mom about all the bangles my teachers would wear in class. Maybe that's part of why I aspired to become a teacher. I also loved it when high heels made click-clack noises when my teachers would walk through the halls.

Your sis,
Lisa

Author at 661 said...

"Little by little grow the bananas" made me smile!

janetb said...

Enjoyable and thought-provoking reading. In "Safely Home" by Randy Alcorn, the Chinese man frequently quoted proverbs to his American friend. Are proverbs as much a part of American culture?

Yvonne McCalla Sobers said...

"A single bracelet does not jingle" is also one of my favorite African proverbs.

My special proverb to add to this list is: "Sooner or later smoke and truth will find a way out into the open."(Ethiopia)

Laedelas Greenleaf said...

"Wood already touched by fire is not hard to set alight" seems awfully applicable to evangelism... thanks for sharing!