Saturday, January 12, 2008

For all you car owners and want-to-be car owners

Two facts.

The first: My insurance for the last 12 months was $1806.

The second: My insurance for the next 12 months will be $1056.

Two messages:

The first: Cars are EXPENSIVE! Hold out as long as you can before getting one! Don't get one unless you're sure you'll be able to pay for it (and I'm not talking the one-time cost of purchasing the vehicle). They drain precious twenties and hundreds from your pocket like nobody's business.

The second: My rate is dropping by $750 because my three accidents are finally off my record . . . three years after they happened. When you have a car, don't be stupid with it. I don't mind accelerating fast sometimes or taking turns harder than most people know you can take them, but when it comes to serious risks like the distance between you and the car in front of you, rainy conditions, stopping time... it's no joke. If you mess up once, you'll be paying for it for years.

You can buy cheaper cars than mine and get less insurance than I have, but these messages still stand in principle. It behooves us to have a sober view of owning and operating a car.

--JPB

1 comment:

Jason said...

"Cars are EXPENSIVE! Hold out as long as you can before getting one!"
--I'm with you on this one. I didn't buy a car (or even get my license) until after my 18th birthday. For the two years before that, it was a slight bummer to not be driving, but I knew that (for what I was doing at the time) it just wasn't worth the cost of insurance/maintenance.

"It behooves us to have a sober view of owning and operating a car."
--Well said. Thanks for the reminder.