Monday, April 30, 2007

First Day of Work

Most of me wants to just hit the sack since I'm in desparate need of sleep, but I really want to at least jot a few things down for those of you who were praying and asking how my first day went.

Thank you for praying! Though I only got 7 hours sleep total over the previous 2 nights, I was remarkably not deathly tired throughout the day. I was glad, though, that I already knew about confined space entry and ISO-9001, 'cause I definitely wasn't too sharp during those videos :-)

This week isn't my job yet. I get 3 half-days with Jake the HR guy, going over a thumb-thick stack of papers and forms and several videos, and then I spend the rest of the week taking half days with each of 7 different areas (like Hot End, Cold End, Lab, etc.), learning stuff and meeting people. Next week is when I'll be turned over to Earl, my direct manager, and the real job-specific training and learning will start. Rumor has it I'll be trained to drive the massive front-end loader out back :-)

I went through the day with another guy, also named John, who just got hired into the maintenance department. He was an amiable and pleasant guy, and I was grateful many times to be going through everything with him. We spent basically the whole day in a small conference room sitting around a table going over forms or watching videos or talking with Jake. We went to the update meeting at 9 o'clock, we took a long break for lunch with several folks from the plant, and we walked around on a mini tour in the afternoon, but otherwise we were workin' away on the orientation/training checklist.

I think I'll save a well-crafted and entertaining picture of the plant for another day. If you want to know what this day was like for me, just picture me sitting in a comfortable office chair in a nice conference room with great big windows letting in the sunshiny world.. sitting back or leaning forward, listening, signing forms, checking off training items, and occasionally laughing with the guys. Not a bad day by any means, but also not anything like what my real work will be.

Also, just to sorta throw this out there, God is amazing. I've been pretty "washed up" at various times over the past few days as great change loomed before me and I looked back at what would never be the same again. I always have a hard time with change, even when it's from a good thing to a good thing. But somehow, somehow God met me at the point of nostalgia and terrible sadness over the season that is now past. I don't even know exactly how, but I went from being broken up about about what was over to being broken up about Jesus. It occured as I read John 14 - 21, and I think that it's there, in the Word, that we meet Jesus Himself and are comforted and engaged and cheered in Him, and not just His blessings.

No way can that paragraph mean to you anything close to what it meant to me, but that's ok :-) It's good stuff.

I will get 7 hours of sleep tonight. Not ~too~ bad.. *doubtful grimace*

--Clear Ambassador

1 comment:

Laedelas Greenleaf said...

Cool, man. Thanks for the update. The prayers will keep coming!