Monday, February 19, 2007

For Future Self

Today Mom woke me up out of a sound sleep at 1:15. I popped up, disconcerted that I had slept away so much of the day. I guess Sunday was more tiring than I had realized. I jumped up, grabbed my cell phone (whose alarm I had apparently somnolently shut off), ran upstairs and sat in the sunshine in the living room to figure out what to do with the day and week. My trusty sheet of 8.5 x 11 paper was soon covered. It's amazing how much there is to do when you aren't doing anything.

I got all my starred items done. Yay.
I laboriously drank a bottle of coconut soda. Not soon to be repeated.
There's a costume party Friday. Yay! What should I dress as?
I HATE MY RECORDINGS AND MY VOCALS!!! I can't even express my disgust after listening to my second complete recording of "When You Were In Love." I feel helpless at the feet of my garbage voice. No matter how much I feel what I'm singing, it comes out shaky, weak and off-pitch. It's kicking me in the face right now. How can it be so easy sometimes, and so gratingly hard other times?

Last Friday I experienced the marvelous art of dentistry. I went in to get a little pothole cavity filled, but the real work was in cleaning out and bonding two depressions in my next-to-front upper teeth (which probably came from braces). He also bonded the tooth I chipped playing basketball years ago. It's amazing--I looked in a mirror right after he finished, and couldn't even tell where he'd been working. And it's so nice having a tip to that tooth again! I keep feeling it's wonderful smoothness with my tongue :-) So, yay for dentists. Covering and replacing stuff like that is basically sculpting, with a flat-edged thingey instead of a chisel, and in a mouth instead of a studio.

We've made several major changes to the house in the past month. The first was getting a new kitchen table (at last!). No more dark formica four-leg in the light oak kitchen. Now we have an exactly-matching light oak trestle table with sweet sweet chairs. We got rid of the big cheap computer/file desk and now the flat screen is on Mom's old white school desk, which takes up less than half the room, leaving the area gloriously open. The chairs have vertical "bars" on the back, and they look so cool around the table! Evokes a feeling similar to that of seeing yuccas or wild oats in landscaping (both of which I really like).

THEN, we got a couch in the basement! We took out the big honkin' school table, put the weight bench next to the elliptical, put Dad's desk where Mom's used to be, and put the couch against the east wall. This leaves the space in front of the treadmill open (until we put the old computer desk there. BOOOO) and a wonderful wide strip of floor between the weight bench and the drumset. Which I was able to move out and over a few inches and re-set-up. It's lovely now--all compact, big and glistening. The couch is so sweet, and there's such an open feel, I just love being down there. Ahh, it makes me happy every time I look around.

I think that does it. I still need to read some Psalms and pray. Thus endeth a random and poorly-written slice of life. This is definitely a for-future-self post :-)

--Clear Ambassador

3 comments:

Laedelas Greenleaf said...

A costume party? Dang, yo! (May I come? :-P) If I were you, I'd dress as a Renaissance lady...I've got the perfect red silk dress and a nice velvet vest...but I don't think that would work for you!

Author at 661 said...

Costume partay! whoo hoo! I think you should hook up with someone and be the Blues Brothers-- just one of the ideas on the trusty 8.5 by 11 sheet of paper that I filled yesterday afternoon. =D not sure what I'll end up going as yet... planning a trip to the thrift store though.

Laedelas- if all else fails, crash it! ;-) The Pierson's house. 7pm. haha.

I'll shoot you an email later today, John, about the concert :-)
-A-

Clear Ambassador said...

Wow, Alaina - Blues Brothers was exactly what I was thinking! But Mike Q is already taken :-( We'll see...