Thursday, February 22, 2007

Categorically Pleased

For those who don't use Facebook, here's word of a new song I wrote in response to the sentiments expressed about the Cabin Fever Festival. I came up with it Monday night and recorded a simple playing-singing demo at about 3am. I think the writing was blessed by God, 'cause the song's in about 6 different keys, and it's quite free from the verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus confines of most of my writing. The key thing is especially amazing. I have lamented countless times my seemingly inescapable bondage to I-IV-V chords, and stared longingly through the window at stuff like Beatles songs that effortlessly move from G to Bb to F# and back again. Now I find myself possessor of such a song, and it's sweet!

I'm also happy with it because it's a happy, peppy song, as opposed to the soft sensitive fare I usually spit out. The words do a good job expressing how I felt Sunday night--enough specifics ("My boring heart has been overcome," "I got to see what your plans had become") to give substance to the feelings, but not so much that it becomes cheesy or unrelatable. Oh, and the whole song was written and recorded on the little baby guitar I bought at the rummage sale last month :-)

So, yeah: I'm categorically delighted with this song! The link is below. There are a few botched chords and one extended "yeah" during a page turn, but it captures the song quite well. Enjoy!

All the Things that You've Done

And also, I've updated about 12 of the songs on my website with better mixes. In particular, Brother, On My Side, End of the Day, Slips Away and Traveling Far Into the Night are much improved. There's still plenty of work to do, but they're better.

--Clear Ambassador

No comments: