Thursday, March 26, 2009

10 Top

Great Albums:
- "Plans" by Death Cab for Cutie
- "Black Holes and Revelations" by Muse
- "Who We Are Instead" by Jars of Clay
- "Never Take Friendship Personal" by Anberlin
- "The Everglow" by Mae
- "The Young and the Hopeless" by Good Charlotte
- "Dog Problems" by The Format
- "Who's Next" by The Who
- "New Way to Be Human" by Switchfoot
- "Speak for Yourself" by Imogen Heap

Every one of these I get excited about. If you don't have them I would passionately argue that you should get them. I wish I could grab you by the shoulders and say Buy them!!

But in truth I would rather you obtain everything ever recorded by Hank Williams Sr., a couple compilations of Johnny Cash, "When the Sun Comes Down" by Leadbelly, "The Early Years" by Woody Guthrie, and "Songs and Sounds of the Sea" (which you would have to get from me). These are songs that are enjoyed most by singing them yourself, and growing familiar with them will arm you for boredom of any sort, showers of any length, and tasks of any repetitiveness. America is poorer for not knowing songs like these, or needing them anymore. They were chiseled in the forge of a thousand campfires and wagon trains, generations of singing, and a trillion clangs of hammer on steel. When properly received, they put all of the albums listed above to shame. That I firmly believe.

[P.S. This is why nobody wants to hear songs I write or learn or want to play. For some reason, my music tastes are directed towards (self-percieved) betterment, not enjoyment. More precisely, betterment of self through true enjoyment. Or enjoyment of "truth" (i.e. value, as determined by my NSHO). But who wants a music crusader around the campfire at midnight? Freakin' play Colbie Caillat and shut up, John.]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you know how to play Bubbly???

Clear Ambassador said...

I don't really know the words, but I can play it. 3 chords! :-)

MERRICK said...

What a list, man. Can't say I've heard all of these, but I can definitely relate with Death Cab, JOC, Anberlin, Ma, and Switchfoot's cds. Good ones, they are.