Friday, July 25, 2008

Que esta pasando

The summer continues with its craziness. I'm consciously putting recording, jamming, room cleaning, and even sleep and working out on hold, in order to capitalize on the people availability that I believe this summer extends uniquely. GROW is drawing a bunch of folks together with a ready zeal to hang out, and Daniel and Justin's job at the church office gives them flexible hours, and plops them right in the middle, locationally and vocationally, of what's going on. At some point last week Daniel had seen the Graham brothers for 7 straight days in a row! I want to be able to say that I used the legendary Summer of '08 to its fullest potential.

Thank God I haven't gotten sick, and I've been actually much better at work being alert and involved (which has more to do with God "loosing the bonds" on my understanding than with the caffeine I hit up every morning), despite getting 4 - 6 hours of sleep almost every night. The main toll that takes is in not being able to work out. The heartiness of my joints is directly linked to the amount of sleep I get, and I can't tear them up lifting weights if I don't give them sleep to heal up. But that's an OK exchange for now.

Wednesday was decent sleep-wise. I went to the middle school after work and helpd Ryan set up the new sound board and rework the whole sound system. By God's grace we had it all rockin' and rollin' for worship practice, which ended at 9:30. I am rarely happier than when I'm running sound, and that night was especially joyous because my abilities in that area were directly able to benefit Ryan, and the worship team, and ultimately the whole church. I've been wishing for a way my music stuff could be used in God's service without being antagonistic to His purposes, so I was very grateful for that opportunity. After practice Daniel, Justin, Heather and I chilled and watched the clouds and stars at Q Park till 10:50pm. Then shut it down, drove home, and hit the sack.

Yesterday I was somewhat reasonable with sleep as well, which I think made Mom happy :-) I slept for almost 2 hours after work, which was my contingency for going swing dancing, since that went till midnight. It worked out pretty well. I even helped Mom for awhile before hitting the sack, and she was cool with me bypassing dinner. 'Course, when I got home at 12:30am I went downstairs and jammed with my Scholz Rockman for an hour. But I don't regret that either, 'cause it convinced me that it really is a quality piece of gear, despite its cheesy plastic body. Swing dancing turned out to be fun, as well, and we got into the groove decently well towards the end. Makes me want to keep doing things like that until I'm comfortable in general with dancing and can improvise with grace.

Today I try to flee the premises as close to 4:30 as possible, zip home, pack up quick, and head to the church office for the GROW camping trip (woo hoo!).

Lunch break ends... NOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOW

[Any Flaming Lips fans out there? If so, you'll get that.]

No comments: